Sunday, August 4, 2013

Falmouth

Laura with Helford River in background
My UK phone:  +44 (0) 7904149790. Call anytime (if calling from outside UK, omit the 0 in parentheses).

Twister remains anchored in Falmouth where I've been relaxing and sampling some local ales. My friends Stu and Laura (whom I met in Cocos Keeling and saw again at Reunion Island and Richard's Bay, South Africa. They completed a circumnavigation earlier this year, crewing on several boats) were kind enough to come over from Plymouth, where they live, and show me around this weekend. Saturday we enjoyed some delicious mussels at a pub overlooking The Helford River a few miles from Falmouth. I plan to depart Falmouth Wednesday morning and sail to Padstow on the northwest Cornish coast, possibly stopping at Isles Of Scilly on the way. Some of you may have noticed that I'm behind the schedule I posted earlier in the year (I should be in Norway by now). As a result, I've had to decline my job with AMLR (antarctic research cruise) this year. Now my aim is to arrive Bergen, Norway by the end of August, which gives me a few weeks to explore the British Isles. From Padstow the plan is to sail to the SE corner of Ireland, Isle Of Man, then perhaps directly to Fort William where the Caledonian Canal begins. The Caledonian Canal will take Twister to Inverness and The North Sea. From there it's a straight shot to Bergen (with the option of heading north to The Shetland Islands first). 

No comments:

Post a Comment