Monday, January 28, 2013

All systems go

It looks like Twister will be ready to set sail for St. Helena Wednesday morning. Paul of SY Rebellion is also going to St. Helena, and we plan to depart at the same time and race. With my new sails, I don't think Paul stands much of a chance, but I took on as much water as I can hold to give him a fighting chance.
It's around 1650 nautical miles, and with the consistent southeasterlies the South Atlantic is known for, it should take us 12-16 days. There is a small chance that I will be so caught up in the glorious trade wind sailing that I will bypass St. Helena and go directly to Brazil. Just saying, if you don't hear from me for 30 days, that's why.
I'm pretty excited to sail into another ocean. The South Atlantic, like The South Indian Ocean, does not offer many rest stops, but on the other hand there will be plenty of time to catch up on reading and to practice celestial navigation.
Did I mention that Cape Town is windy? I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that it blows over 30 knots here more often than not.
I guess that's all I have to say. See y'all in St. Helena.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lars, that's the spirit!
    Benedetto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair winds and calm seas, my friend. Keep in mind that I still have three liters of Vailima that I'm looking forward to sharing with you someday.

    Neal, Ruthie and Corie
    Drummoyne, NSW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much looking forward to sharing another Vailima with y'all. Somehow I wasn't able to keep any on Twister--must be that I don't have enough room. Enjoy Aussie.

      Delete