Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Still in Reunion

I am still in Reunion and still enjoying it. There is good surf, hiking, food, drink, and music. But it's about time to move on. At the moment, the forecast looks promising for a Sunday (Nov 11th) departure. It's ca 1400 miles to Richard's Bay on the northeast coast. Since this passage will take me out of the trade winds, I can expect winds from pretty much any direction.  I will be happy if I average 100 miles per day. So, hopefully the passage will take around 14 days.
I have replaced the jury-rigged forestay with a new one I had made at a shop nearby. I'll continue to sail with hank-on jibs until I get to South Africa where I'll be able to buy some parts for the roller furler.
Oh, by the way, I'm famous:  I was interviewed by a local TV reporter who was looking for Americans (there aren't very many in Reunion) to talk about the presidential election. Here is the program.  I hope I didn't say anything stupid.

1 comment: