Friday, October 19, 2012

Rodrigues to Reunion

Well, the cyclone was a bit of an anti-climax here in Rodrigues. We had 25-30 knots at the worst of it. Closer to the center of the storm it was a different story, I'm sure. The anchorage here in Port Mathurin will soon be a lonely place as all the other 5 yachts are leaving today along with me. I think the early-season cyclone has everyone wanting to get to South Africa, and out of the cyclone belt, as soon as possible. I've enjoyed my time in Rodrigues. I think this is the most laid-back, happy, friendly, safe-feeling place I've been to, and I've been to a few places that deserve those adjectives over the last year and a half. It is a small place with a population (mostly of African deescent and speaking Creole) of only 36 000, so it doesn't take long to see the sights, but I could easily spend a month or more here (but I'm also concerned about cyclones). Speaking of the sights--the best known one here is a Tortoise sanctuary which I visited with a couple of my cruising friends (Dino and Shasha from Hadar, and Paul from Rebellion) and some of my new friends from Rodrigues. They (the tortoises, not my friends) are impressively large (up to 100 kg) and surprisingly friendly--as soon as they spot you, they walk right up, demanding to be scratched under their chins which they obviously enjoy. Back in the day, whaling ships used to stop here and stock up on tortoises as they could be stored alive for a long time before being eaten. 

It's about 440 nm to the southwest corner of Reunion Island. I would normally expect to do that in 4 days or less, but the forecast is calling for light winds after 2 days of 15-20 knots, so it may take me 5 or even 6 days to get there. No big deal after two 2000 mile passages in a row. I'll be sailing with a hank-on jib (which is a bit more work than the roller furler I had been using.  More on that another time) that the folks on Ocean Lady were kind enough to lend me until I get to South Africa. 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, Lars! Stay safe and enjoy the sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people want to be scratched under their chins??? How unique! Stay safe! We're in Gove waiting for the right weather to cross back across the Gulf to Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is Gove? I thought about stopping there on the way west. Have a good trip onward.

    ReplyDelete