Monday, October 15, 2012

repairs and cyclones

If things go according to plan, I'l have my forestay repaired by this evening. With some help from my fellow cruisers here in Rodrigues, I think I've figured out a way to reattach the wire to the mast  I've also been offered the use of some hank-on sails to get me to South Africa where I'll get new rigging and reassemble the roller-furler.  Meanwhile, there is a category 3 (intense) tropical cyclone (named Anais, maximum sustained surface winds estimated 105 knots, gusting to 130 knots) about 400 miles north of us, making its way southwest toward Mauritius. The current predictions have the eye of the storm passing no closer than 340 miles from us in about 24 hours. It is still almost a month before the official start of the Southwest Indian Ocean cyclone season. Glad to be in harbor and not out sailing at the moment. Hoping to be on my way to Reunion in 3-4 days (I expect a 4-day passage) where I'll probably stay around a week while I wait for a good weather window for sailing to South Africa. But I just looked at the forecast, and now it looks like I may be here a bit more than 3-4 days while I wait for the tradewinds to reestablish after the passage of the cyclone.

No comments:

Post a Comment