Sunday, June 10, 2012

Robbed

It's easy to get stuck in a south seas port. The pace of life is slow and pleasant, the climate is great, and the scenery lovely. But I usually get a little antsy after a couple of weeks. I now have added impetus to get going. Two nights ago someone stole my dinghy from where I left it ashore and presumably used it to go on Twister and steal what they thought was valuable including my guitar, binoculars, my old iBook notebook computer, and some random electronic bits. Fortunately they were kind enough not to take the chartplotter or anything else essential to the operation of the boat (although the binoculars are quite handy sometimes). Getting robbed sucks. I was very fond of my guitar and having a computer stolen opens one up to myriad identity theft and fraud issues, but the worst part is the feeling of being violated--knowing someone was aboard Twister rummaging through my things--and the effect it has on my feeling toward the locals (in an intellectual sense I know it could happen anywhere and that it was only one or two people, but it happened here, so emotionally  it leaves me with some feeling of dislike for the Ni-vanuatu which is what the locals are called). Of course, in the big scheme of things, it's only an annoyance and inconvenience (using my surfboard to paddle ashore while I try to find a new dinghy). Like a wise man said, "don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.

Anyway, I've more or less decided to head for Cairns in Australia. The forecast looks promising for a Thursday departure. I have run into Mike (whom I first met in Pago Pago, American Samoa last year) from the boat "This Side Up" (one of the better boat names I've come across) here in Port Vila and he is also planning to head to Cairns on Thursday, so we have agreed to schedule a daily radio chat on the SSB (thankfully I still have that) during the passage. "This Side Up" is 45 feet to Twister's 28, so he will probably beat me by several days.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. That's awful, Lars. Like you said, at least they left behind what you need to sail. I completely understand wanting to get out of there now. Even knowing it's not Vanuatu, you can't help but make that kind of association once you've had something like that happen in a "strange" place.

    Still bummed I can't meet you in Cairns... I guess instead of sailing up the coast of Australia, I'll be taking a boat ride to the Aran Islands (not bad, but definitely not the same!). Hope you have an enjoyable passage there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joël (s/v Helena)June 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

    Ah not the guitar man..... bummer! Lo siento... but I like your view on this, it has value too, the kind no one can steal.
    Have a good trip to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, man, Lars ... that bums me out. I wish I could help you out. I wish I had binoculars and a new guitar to send you! I'm so glad you weren't harmed or left with nothing. Growing up in New Orleans, being robbed was just a way of life for me, but I hope your spirits remain upbeat, take care, and safe travels to Cairns!

    Big hug & smooch,
    Steph Riggs

    ReplyDelete